Frequently asked questions
Am I eligible to drive for Shebah?
If you meet all the below, you can start your driver application. Vroom vroom!
– Be at least 21 years old;
– Have, and be confident using, a smart phone;
– Be able to confidently and comfortably speak English;
– Hold an unrestricted Australian driver’s licence;
– Have, or be prepared to set up, an ABN (registered for GST); and
– Have access to a four-door car in great condition.
How much does it cost to be a driver?
Indicative costs (excluding insurance) as of August 2019 are as follows:
What does it mean to be an independent contractor?
As a rideshare driver, you are considered an independent contractor and not an employee of the rideshare operator. This means, although you do not receive the same affordances as an employee, there are many benefits to being an independent contractor. Independent contractors are individuals in business for themselves; they don’t work for a boss. They are the boss. Being in business for yourself, looks like:
1. Flexibility – You can work the hours you want to fit your schedule. There is no pressure, and you can earn money around any other of your hundreds of responsibilities
2. Be your own boss – Being a Shebah Driver gives YOU control of your working hours and location, along with job security
3. No Tax Withholding – The payment you receive as an independent contractor does not have any federal or state income tax withheld. However, you must instead pay these taxes on your personal income tax return*.
4. Deduct your business expenses – All the expenses you incur running your own business as a Shebah driver are deductible as business expenses in your tax return*.
*Empower yourself and seek independent financial advice. In fact, if you sign up as a Shebah driver, you get 30mins of independent financial advice for free!
How do I get paid as a Shebah driver?
When you become a Shebah driver, one of the first things you create is your Stripe account which is connected directly to your Shebah trips. Stripe is a payment gateway not unlike PayPal, through which you manage your fares – including into which account you have, and even the frequency of those funds coming through.
I have another job. Can I drive part time for Shebah?
Absolutely! We do not mandate hours or trip numbers to our drivers. This means you are free to drive when you like, and where you like (within your state or territory). Remember, this is YOUR business.
What support does Shebah provide for drivers?
Shebah HQ is open Monday-Friday 9am-5pm and we are accessible by phone and email. We also have a lovely network of experienced drivers you can connect with directly! We provide you with support for our App, with your driver documentation, as well as look after all your queries related to rideshare legislation across the country. We exist to provide you with a simplified path to running your own business as a rideshare driver. Shebah is an App gateway so you can drive your passengers legally, and make money doing it!
As a driver, how can you support those in our community who are experiencing a personal crisis?
As a driver there's only so much you can do to support a rider that you know is experiencing issues in their personal life.
If you identify that someone is facing a serious personal issue that they may need help with then we recommend directing them towards these services for professional help & advice: